Be it a professional in the production assembly work or a normal person working on improving their home look, at some point of the time; drilling is an important aspect. It is required in construction activities and to even mount a shelf at the house, drilling is vital. Thanks to technology, this task has become much easier with the invention of drills. Drilling activity now takes much less time. It all started with drills that have cords. Though the purpose is served, a corded drill might still be inconvenient and difficult to use. Cordless drills are introduced later, which initially used to work less efficiently even though they are more convenient. However, as time passed by with recent improvements, cordless drills also work with high power without compromising. It is at this moment that they gained a lot of interest.
Companies started to produce different models of electric drills and if you are new to them, finding the best drill might be a difficult task. To help you with the purchase, in this post, we have researched various cordless drills as per consumer reports available in the market and came up with the best products available in the market for the year 2021. Below are the best cordless drills available online so that it is convenient for you to sit back at home and select the best model suiting your needs. We have also provided the pros and cons of each product so that it is easy for you to compare as well. Let us get started.
1. BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Cordless Drill
- 1. BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Cordless Drill
- 2. DEWALT 20V MAX Cordless Drill / Driver Kit
- 3. Cordless Drill Driver Kit – 20V Max Impact Drill Set
- 4. Avid Power 20V MAX Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill
- 5. PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Cordless Drill Combo Kit and Impact Driver
- 6. Bosch Power Tools Drill Kit
- 7. Cordless Drill, 20V Drill Driver
- 8. CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Drill Combo Kit
- 9. Makita Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Drill Kit
- How Choose The Best Cordless Drill
- Cordless Drill Frequently Asked Questions
The first cordless drill from our list is from BLACK+DECKER. This is a perfect tool for all screw driving tasks. It can penetrate easily into metal, plastic or wood. With its 11 position clutch position, it provides absolute control required for drilling purposes. The chuck size of the drill is 3/8 inch. It is provided with the modern LDX120 driver. The most important aspect of any cordless drill is the battery. Well, BLACK+DECKER’s drill contains a Lithium-ion battery that has 20 Volts maximum power. One major concern about any drill is that if we want to make holes in confined spaces, then the drill should be able to fit in that confined space. Otherwise, having a drill is of no use. With BLACK+DECKER’s drill, it is possible even to screw in confined places. Its design is compact and hence can fit in small places too. Also, the drill is lightweight, which is an important requirement if you wish to carry the drill to different work areas. For not damaging any material, this drill has variable speed settings. So, based on the surface, it can be adjusted.
- Perfect for screw driving tasks
- Can easily penetrate into metal, plastic, or wood
- 11 position clutch
- 20V maximum Lithium-ion battery
- Compact and lightweight design for easy portability
- Variable speed settings
- Some customers have complaints about battery life
- Few customers have concerns about the chuck being stuck
2. DEWALT 20V MAX Cordless Drill / Driver Kit
Next on the list is the drill from DEWALT. It is one of the famous companies in manufacturing these types of tools and they have more than 180 types of models manufacturing. The model name itself indicates that this drill is quite compact. That means, the driver can easily fit in tighter areas and you do not have to worry about not reaching tougher areas. The main important part of a cordless driver is motor power. With a high performing motor, the driver has 300 unit watts out power and this can be used to perform various activities. For tight grip strength, the chuck is quite vital. DEWALT’s chuck type is keyless and is ½ inch single sleeve increasing chuck. With a battery capacity of 1.3-ampere-hour and an extraordinary initial maximum voltage of 20 volts, the drill works efficiently. The minimal voltage is 18 volts. The driver is capable of delivering 2 types of speeds – 450 and 1500 rpm. Based on the drilling and fastening activities, you can choose the speed. The tool has a 1.9-inch wide handle, which is convenient to hold and you have the maximum control over the process. There is a wide range of other tools that DEWALT is offering which you can have a look at and if you wish to buy them, you can pair up with this wonderful driver kit.
- One of the popular companies for these tools
- Lightweight and compact design perfect for drilling hard-to-reach-areas and portability
- Great motor power
- Keyless chuck
- 20V max capacity battery which is highly efficient
- 2 types of speed options available
- Convenient handle
- Few customers have complains about the battery life
3. Cordless Drill Driver Kit – 20V Max Impact Drill Set
One of the best companies to offer a high-quality cordless drill is KIMO. They are into this industry for more than 25 years and are dedicated to providing the best to their customers. They keep updating their batteries to provide a superficial model. This particular model has a great battery life and can work for at least 1000 cycles. So you do not need to worry about the dead batteries or abruptly stopped batteries like most of the other companies have. This driver kit can be used for various household reconstruction, garden work, renovations, etc.. They perfectly work on any repairs that you have. You can absolutely use this drill for 3 activities – the drilling part, impact drilling and also for screwdriving. It has a 21+1+1 clutch and you can vary the speed to 2 settings – 1350 rpm and 350 rpm. These settings and the clutch together is a perfect combination to work efficiently. With a maximum 330 in-lb torque, the cordless drill is perfect for hard surfaces too like metal, plastic or wood. The motor itself is made of copper, making it much more efficient, and because of the material, it is cooler and lightweight too. It contains a special feature to allow the screws to be replaced or removed with the forward/reverse switch. In addition to this, there is an in-built LED light, which makes it possible to see clearly in dark areas. The whole kit comes with extra accessories – 6 Twist Drill Bits, 1 Carrying Bag, 1 Battery, 3 Nut Driver Bits, 3 Brad Point Drill Bits, 1 Fast Charger, 33 screwdriver bits.
- Best battery life that offers 1000 cycles.
- Driver kit can be used for 3 activities – the drilling part, impact drilling and also for screwdriving
- 2 variable speeds and a 21-1-1 clutch
- Maximum 330 in-lb torque with a copper motor
- Lightweight and compact
- Forward/reverse switch
- Built-in LED light
- Comes with extra accessories
- Some customers complained that the drill is not strong enough
4. Avid Power 20V MAX Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill
Next, on the list, we have a cordless drill from Avid Power. With a max Torque, the drill can easily penetrate into a steel plate or wood. When driving into the drywall, plastic, wood or metal surfaces, due to the 15+1 clutch and torque settings, the driving would be smooth enough without stripping the surface. The handle is covered with rubber, which gives a comfortable grip and you can work for more time without fatigue. Whenever you feel that the driver bits are hard to reach, you can use the flexible shaft. Also, variable speed up to 550 rpm can be adjusted with a brake function to work on the area perfectly. The in-built LED light helps to work in dark areas or at night. A 20V Lithium-ion battery is provided, which is highly efficient and along with that an output that is compatible with USB is provided. This is useful for charging your mobile. This way, you can have the work done as well as charge your phone and you do not need to worry about the phone charging. The kit also provides extra accessories – 10pcs driver bits, 10pcs drill bits, an extension bar.
- 15+1 clutch and max torque provides efficient and smooth driving
- Comfortable handle covered with rubber
- Flexible shaft for hard-to-reach places
- Variable speed with brake function
- In-built LED light
- Powerful battery with a USB outlet
- Few customers expressed concerns that the company does not provide replacement batteries
5. PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Cordless Drill Combo Kit and Impact Driver
The next cordless drill kit is from Porter-cable. This sophisticated looking drill has variable speed settings with 2 types of speed – 350 and 1500 rpm. It comes with a high-performing motor that delivers 283 watts units out. This helps the drilling to be smooth without causing any fatigue and the whole operation would be efficient. The impact driver is ¼ inch having 1450 lbs of torque. The chuck can be loaded quickly and the bit changes can be done one-handed. The driver is equipped with professional-grade batteries that are 20V max lithium-ion batteries. These batteries are highly efficient and have more runtime. Also, the batteries are lightweight compared to the NiCd batteries. The whole driver itself weighs 3.3 lbs making it very lightweight to handle. On top of this, the handle is ergonomically made, which makes it quite comfortable to hold and also gives a good grip. There is storage for the bits and the in-built LED light is really helpful when working in dark areas.
- 2 variable speeds
- High performing motor
- Chuck loading is faster
- 20 V max lithium-ion batteries
- Compact and lightweight design
- In-built LED light
- Some customers have concerns about the impact wrench not being durable
6. Bosch Power Tools Drill Kit
Next, on the list, we have a drill kit from Bosch power. It is a popular company providing efficient tools for different activities. This cordless drill model has a high torque and variable speed settings. These help to drive holes through different types of surfaces like metal, wood or drywall. The variable speed settings – 350 and 1300 rpm along with 20+1 clutch settings make this drill quite unique and it helps for the smooth drilling process. When it comes to batteries, it comes with two 12 V lithium-ion batteries. They run for a long time and you do not have to worry about that. One other factor that so many others miss is the performance-to-size ratio. This ratio is very useful for professional workers like plumbers, contractors or electricians. Bosch’s drill has a very good performance-to-size ratio. One other problem that people often face is not having proper lighting at the workspace especially in the nights. But, do not worry, Bosch’s drill has an in-built LED light which exactly points at the work area making it very convenient to work.
- One of the popular companies.
- Variable speed and high torque settings help to work on multiple type surfaces
- Smooth drilling operation with clutch and variable speed settings
- 2 12 V lithium-ion batteries
- Premium performance-to-size ratio perfect for professionals
- In-built LED light for proper visibility in dark areas
- Some customers have complained about the battery
- Few customers did not like the quality of the drill
7. Cordless Drill, 20V Drill Driver
The next cordless drill is from POPOMAN. This particular model is very comfortable for stay-at-home work or if you have some handwork to be done. It comes with the most efficient copper motor with 398 in-lbs of torque. The copper-motor has 4 poles. The 21+1 clutch position helps you to adjust the torque precisely when compared to other clutches. Along with this, there is a convenient speed adjustment too. 2-speed settings – 450 and 1700 rpm give you a smooth drilling experience. This also helps to work on different types of surfaces with the same precision as wood, metal or plastic. For efficient working of the drilling, 2 powerful 20 V lithium-ion batteries are included. There is also a power indicator on them to let you know when to charge them. Also, the charger is quite fast helping the batteries to charge within 1 hour. There is a ½ inch keyless metal chuck for accessory compatibility. The F/R button helps for both drilling and fastening. The handle has a good grip and you feel comfortable holding it as it is covered with rubber. The in-built LED light helps you to work even in dark areas. Along with the driller, you will get 1 60 mm Extension Rod, 1 Fast Charger, 1 Contractor Bag, 2 Batteries, 1 Belt Clip, 32 Driver Bits. On top of this, you will even get a 2-year quality promise.
- Efficient 4-pole copper motor
- 21+1 clutch position and 2 variable speed settings
- 2 efficient 20 V lithium-ion batteries
- A fast charger that charges the batteries within 1 hour
- F/R button for multipurpose usage
- In-built LED light
- Few customers did not like the quality
8. CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Drill Combo Kit
The next Cordless Drill from our list is from CRAFTSMAN. It comes with a very efficient and powerful motor providing 280 UWO power. It helps for the fast completion of tasks and the drilling level is excellent. There are 2 types of speed settings which are variable to change – 350 and 1500 rpm. The impact driver is effective enough to perform heavy-duty tasks. It provides 1460 in-lbs torque. The driver can be handled with a single hand to drop and load bits. With 20V Max Lithium batteries, the driver works for a longer time and has higher performance. Also, the charger is fast enough to charge the batteries within 60 minutes. The cordless drill has a compact and lightweight design making it easier to work and you can even reach tougher tight places. It comes with LED light making it easy to work in dark. The drill set also comes with a storage bag for convenience. The whole kit comes with a 3-year warranty.
- Powerful and efficient motor
- 2 variable speed settings for precise drilling
- High torque to work efficiently
- 20V max lithium batteries that work for a longer time
- Compact and lightweight design
- In-built LED light
- It comes with a 3-year warranty
- Few customers are not happy with the outer build material.
9. Makita Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Drill Kit
Last on our list is a cordless drill from Makita. This drill has an efficient brushless motor which adjusts the energy to match RPM and torque depending on the application. This uses the power efficiently and hence all the drilling operations can be performed precisely and smoothly. It also runs way cooler than other motors as it eliminates the carbon brushes. This also makes it more efficient and work for a longer period of time. The motor is also electronically controlled to make efficient usage of the battery energy. So, the batteries run 50% longer than they originally would with this efficient motor. The maximum torque delivered by the motor is 440 inches pounds. There are 2 variable speed settings – 500 and 1900 rpm. This makes it quite convenient to use and smooth operation is possible.
- Brushless motor to match RPM and torque
- The motor uses power efficiently
- Eliminates carbon brushes and makes the motor way cooler
- Efficient usage of batteries making them work 50% more longer
- Maximum torque
- 2 variable speed settings
- Few customers did not like chuck and some complained that it is not compatible with older models.
How Choose The Best Cordless Drill
Messing up with wires while using a drill can be a real headache sometimes; therefore, you should prefer using cordless drill over corded ones. But the actual problem comes into play when it comes to buying the right type of cordless drill. There are too many variations present in the market related to cordless drills, and which ultimately is a challenging thing for buyers. If you are also feeling unable to come up with a solid buying decision, this detailed buying guide will help you a lot.
A cordless drill’s overall performance and even other types of drills ultimately depend upon the primary motor they encounter. And usually, manufacturers count the power of a motor in terms of the battery voltage. Nowadays, there are multiple varieties present in this section, and the power of cordless drills may differ between 6V to 18V. But a few years back, we only had the option of maximum motor power of drill with 9V. However, it’s indeed that most of the cordless drills come with 6, 7.2, 9, 12, 14.4 and 18V, and the rule is simple, the higher the battery voltage, the higher you get the performance.
In our opinion, if you are willing to make the purchase in favor of a cordless drill because you just want to use it for normal home repairing or fixing work. In this situation, a 9V or 12V of cordless drill would be a great option. But in case if you are looking for a cordless drill for heavy construction work, then you can surely look at higher motor power of drills.
Clutch And Clutch Levels:
Clutch functionality is one of the most important functions that you shouldn’t ignore while making the final purchase decision. The clutch function helps to keep the motor from higher resistance and also doesn’t put extra torque on the screws while tightening. Now you have a good idea why the clutch functionality is so important in a cordless drill and even in corded ones. Clutch settings or levels is another highly important thing that you should keep an eye on.
There are many variations present in terms of clutch levels; some drills come with only 15 levels; on the other hand, some higher models offer a maximum of 24 levels of adjustment. And if you want to be precise with your drilling work, it would be great for you to go with the maximum clutch adjustment level.
Most cordless drills come with two adjustable speed settings, and that you can adjust with a slide switch of the trigger. Commonly the speed range of standard cordless drills may differ between 300 to 800 RPM. And because the speed of a drill can decide the smoothness of the work, that’s why it comes in the category of highly important points. If you want to buy a cordless drill only for light-duty work or standard drilling work, it would be an excellent option to choose a drill with a maximum of 800 RPM speed. But you can easily go up to 1000 RPM for better performance and easy drilling tasks.
Usually, you’ll find the basic lithium-ion battery powered cordless drills in the market. But many manufacturers are providing the advanced technology of Nickel-Metal-Hydride Batteries. The lithium-ion batteries are still the most cost-effective option, and in our opinion, you should choose a battery that should not increase the overall weight of the drill and must be able to provide impressive battery backup.
Handle part of a cordless drill also matters a lot, especially when you are working on something important. If your chosen cordless drill has an excellent grip on the handle segment, it will automatically help you hold the drill firmly and properly.
Cordless Drill Frequently Asked Questions
- How does a cordless drill work?
A cordless drill performs a similar function as a wired drilling machine. When you activate the power button, the electric motor turns on. This motor helps the chuck to rotate at the desired speed that you select. You will not need a carpenter or electrician for little works anymore.
- What are the do’s of a cordless drill?
Let us look at some easy hacks and tips that will help you to operate and give long life to your cordless drill machine:
- Make sure to wear ear and eye protection.
- Work in a properly ventilated and bright area.
- To avoid injuries, make sure to keep the surrounding clean.
- Check the alignment of all the parts before operating.
- Store it in a dry location.
- Make sure it is away from the reach of children.
- What are the don’ts while operating a cordless drill?
- Do not use the extension unnecessarily.
- Do not charge the battery in outdoor areas. Keep it away from direct contact of sunlight.
- Do not store the machine in a humid area.
- Do not use it when it is damaged. It can be harmful to you.
- Do not clean the plastic with harsh solvents.
- I feel scared to operate it for the first time. What are the safety measures that I should take?
We have listed a series of do and don’ts above. Make sure to follow those instructions. Always handle the electrical tools with care and be attentive. Even a little deviation of mind can cause your problems.
- How to remove the battery properly?
You need to use your both the hands carefully. Hold the handle firmly from one hand. Push the latch and pull out the battery gently.
- What are the points to take care of when charging the battery?
The first thing to make sure is to charge the battery at the voltage specified in the label. Overuse of voltage can burn the charger. Carefully put the charger inside the charging compartment. Turning the plug on will indicate a red light so that you can know its charging.
- I am a 26-year-old female. I do not have experience of drilling. Will I be able to handle the weight of the machine?
If you are new to drilling work, make sure to go for a lightweight drilling machine. Apart from the workload, the weight is something that bothers the users most. Therefore, pick a cordless drill with manageable weight.
- How much time does an ideal cordless drill takes to charge?
The recharging takes 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending upon the brand you choose. Some brand’s battery even take more time to recharge. Make sure to read the manual.
- What are the speed variations? How to use it on different materials according to the speed?
The speed of the drilling machine determines the kind of operation you want to perform. The low-speed settings (300rpm) are mostly for light work. High speed is for high duty works.
- Do these drilling items have a warranty too?
Yes, you will get a warranty of 2 to 3 years depending on the manufacturer.
Now, you have seen the best models available in the online market. Each product’s description and pros & cons might be a huge help to you. We hope that this post is useful for you in selecting a suitable drill for either your home needs or for your professional work. For your convenience, we have also provided the link for each product so that you can go ahead and look at the product in more detail. We encourage you to look at various customer reviews so that you will know where exactly the product stands. Once you are satisfied, you can go ahead and purchase. We are sure that you will be happy with any of our listed products.